Re: Behind what ?

Hello Nadim:

I agree with you 100%. I my self was talking to Muhammed El Zubir regarding an arabization of man pages project and I found the whole thing to be quite complicated so I have given up. That was a bad decisio n on my part. I think alot of people start the process with great excitement and enthusasim and end up forgetting all about it.

Here is my suggestion. It is an idea that I thought about and will actually persue once my new job settles down in a few weeks: we should first organize what needs to be translated. Once done we should have a way for poeple to translate stuff over the web.

They read the english and enter the arabic in a form. Once done, a team will then use the translation and plaec it in the right files.

I think that seperates the complexity and might intereset alot of less technincal people.

Hope this helps.

Anmar
Anmar at canada dot com

Nadim Shaikli wrote:
Salam all.  I was looking over a non-related issue and ended-up
on the KDE status page,

http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/HEAD/index.php

What can I say (I'm afraid to go and look at the Gnome one).
Arabic translation is behind such "languages" as (this is
not a complete list, but a very minor sample),

Afrikaans
Bulgarian Greek Esperanto Farsi Hebrew Hungarian Lithuanian
Polish Turkish Chinese
Zulu

I mean "come on" some of those aren't even used outside a few
hundred kilometers.  How can we stand for this ?  Why are we
always putting ourselves in such a bad/awkward position ? Why
are we behind all the time ?  What will it take for us to be
in the forefront of others ?  All philosophical questions, but
all apply to this senario and topic.

I and others very much (AGAIN) look for your feedback on how
things can be improved.

With all due respect to Esperanto and Zulu, but COME ON people,
we're behind "them" ?  In all seriousness, Arabic translations
are far behind !!