Re: Ping Word

--- Isam Bayazidi wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 February 2002 11:58 pm, Arafatm wrote:
> > I think jerrib ilittsal is far better then bin2 ;) simply because we want
> > to make an arabic translation not writing the latin word with arabic
> > letters so bing or bin2 is not good ;) I think maybe "yattasil" is more
> > suited ?
>
> Well .. I agree with Chahine .. look into the word PING .. what does it mean
> in real life, it means making a sound :-) why did they use the word ping ?
> becuase they took it from the game ping-pong .. where one side sends
> something (request) and the other send something back (respose)..

Have no comment on which translation to use (if any), but thought I'd point
out that the word and the command 'ping' has nothing to do with ping-pong :-)
It does, on the other hand, relate to the sound made by submarines as they
attempt to echo-locate things :-)

  http://ftp.arl.mil/~mike/ping.html

Salam...