Setting Locale

Salam Moe,
  As I was translating the setting locale section in the Arabic-howto I
noticed that I use a totally different approach, I only set up the variable
LANG to be: ar_EG.UTF-8, and every thing goes fine, is there a need to set
LANG and LC_CTYPE to be different ? and why not set LANG to a UTF-8 locale ?
such as ar_EG.UTF-8 ? I have LANG set to that with no problem
and why use the ar_US ? a simple 'locale -a' does not show that ar_US is
possible, although setting it does not effect anything, but it is not a
locale defined .. I am not sure about this .. are you ? :-)

Yours
Isam Bayazidi