Re: CUPS in Action (need help :)

Nadim Shaikli wrote:

Sorry for the __VERY__ late reply, really am.  I was able to see the
Arabic without issue using "ghostview" (gv-3.5.8), I just had to copy
the font file (the .pfa file) in the same directory as the .ps I was
displaying and it showed without issue.

better late than never :) and WOW! you can actually see the arabic ? .PS files contain the font files within them, so I think something is wrong with the .PS file that makes GV, GGV, CUPS (and all .PS readers) not see the font. what you did -copying the font next to the .PS- cannot be done with CUPS, so we still have a problem. but hey, Thanks, now I can check the shaping/bidi until the .PS thing is fixed, if it is ever!!

The output that was displayed looked very odd, things were shaped but
the spacing was all off (and this was not due to harakat either).  I'm
attaching a small screenshot to show you what I mean and I'd be more
than happy to mail you more detailed shots in private if you so desire.

yeah I know about that, its a problem with the font not being monospaced every character has a different width and CUPS's texttops filter puts every character at a constant distance from the previous character. If you look in the .PS file you'll see that arabic characters are written 1 by 1, each with its own coordinate. In short, the solution is a monospaced arabic font like windows' Courier

Hope that helps and keep up on this effort - I'm here to help/test.

I had given up on CUPS, but what you said was really helpful. Thanks for the help.

ak.