[Fwd: Re: CUPS Arabic support ?]

ok, here is how we stand. what should i do ????

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: CUPS Arabic support ?
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 15:01:06 -0400
From: Michael Sweet <>
Newsgroups: cups.development

Ahmad Khalifa wrote:

the patch is now almost ready, but...
we feel that changing the Bidi Engine from
minibidi to Fribidi would be better for CUPS.

Fribidi is available as an external library and
it already comes out-of-the-box in some distros.
as the Bidi Algorithm changes over time it would
be better to use Fribidi.

your opinion on this please ?

Without knowing the details of the license for Fribidi (do you have a link), I can't say. Any patch that is accepted into CUPS MUST allow for relicensing (we license CUPS to third parties like Apple who often want additional rights beyond those allowed by the GPL). If Fribidi is GPL'd, then we can't use it.