Re: Question about ITL - Prayer Times

--- Thamer Mahmoud <thamer at newkuwait dot org> wrote:
> Nadim Shaikli writes:
>  > What is needed is someone to look into and recode the 'umm_alqura' code
>  > in the "hijri" branch - I was never able to find any info on the actual
>  > algorithm used and the code that was donated is far from ...ah...well...
>  > readable :-)
>
> Nadim, have you seen this easily missable post [1] ?
>
> [1] http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2004/January/msg00076.html
> [2] http://www.willbell.com/math/mc1.htm

Thamer, I'm unable to find reference #2 above in local shops/libraries
so its a no go (unless you can get a hold of it and see if it contains
any relevant parts/details on the umm_alqura algorithm and scan 'em for
me as a reference).  What I did find was,

  - Astronomical tables of the sun, moon, and planets
    by Jean Meeus ; foreword by Robert C. Victor. (1983)
  - Astronomical tables of the sun, moon, and planets
    by Jean Meeus ; foreword by Roger Sinnott. (1995)
  - Mathematical astronomy morsels
    by Jean Meeus. (1997)

Plus I get the felling that I won't really find anything specific on
umm_alqura algorithm there per se - I'm very taken aback to see that
KACST (King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology) who was/is
invovled in creating the algorithm doesn't have any reference itself
to point people to (isn't that _very_ strange and shouldn't they be
told to look into this topic to publish something themselves ?).

As such, we continue to need someone to get the exact details on
the umm_alqura algorithm.