Re: Bidi-less Applications Patching Policy

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 02:40:34PM +0100, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
> > > if both would be 100% compliant and the minibidi license is more
> > > permissible?!!!
>
> Well, they don't have to.

They don't have to what? I realize this is a touchy issue and we have
tried to resolve this in the best way possible. However, like I have
said before, our options are to either do miniBidi or re-write those
non-GPL friendly applications. Which one would you pick?

> > > Behdad, Ahmed, do you think we can go like this?
> > >

> > We already are.
> >

> Munzir, you know better. This is a 'core' level decision.
> The magic word 'core' seems to be appearing more and more these days.
> In another topic which I didn't want to comment about, something would have to
> be revoked by core not QAC. There was no reason to comment after that.

Oh that hurts ;) Come on now. These are two different issues and mixing
them together is just not fair. QAC is there to set the guidelines and
"assure quality".. not change Arabeyes general policies. That's what
core is for. The issue you are referring to (in the 'doc' list) touches
on the general Arabeyes policy.

Now, as for the 'core' level decision as you put it -- it was. However,
no core decision is engraved in stone if the majority (or even a
size-able number of people) disagree with it. You know better than that.
Our decision to forge ahead with miniBiDi was only questioned by
yourself and Munzir. No one else has said anything about it. The core
team (4 members) + miniBidi's author (1 member) want to go ahead with
the decision where as 2 do not.

All I have heard so far is discontent with the resolution, yet I do not
see any alternative plans. Please, if you do have a better plan, share!
If you think it would help, we could setup a meeting on irc where all
concerned parties can show up and throw ideas around till we find
something we are all comfortable with.

> I am thinking of redoing unicode coding (already bought my Unicode 4 standard
> book:) in order to learn. Naturally, this will be the umpteenth implementation.
> As they say, the best things in standards is that there are so many to choose
> from;)
>
> I expect it to take 18 months to complete, so make use of what is available for
> the time being. Targets are the small devices, and I may make a Python module.

Cool ;)

> It will be under the MIT license (http://www.x.org/Downloads_terms.html) which
> by the way includes the sentence:

Even cooler ;) You know I love MIT/BSD style licenses ;)

> [..]
>
> While no plan currently exists for the unification with FriBiDi (license
> issues) or miniBiDi (I want to learn on my own), future coordination is
> welcome. In particular, a unified interface for all of them will be for the
> benefit of all (well, not all).

Actually, that is a very cool idea. I concur.

> Before any comments on why, what, how, let me add one more statement.

So far no why, what or how..

> Effectively today, I am suspending my membership in Arabeyes. I understand I am
> currently responsible for some issues which I would like to clear up. I will be

Hrmm.. any reason why?

> delightful if somebody could take the maintainer job at BiCon as we need at
> least one maintainer. As for the Distros project, I prefer Munzir to continue
> with some help from you.
> I will probably fork BiCon some time in the future to support my library, if
> need arises. Sorry Behdad, we all know it's your baby. This will be outside the

Any reason for this too? It's not like you don't have control over where
BiCon goes. People fork for very strong reasons and I am yet to read a
reason for it.

> Arabeyes framework.
> I will probably get one or two documents about Fedora in the MAPS style. I will
> be thankful if Arabeyes can still host those.

Of course.

Regards,
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.fakkir.net/ |