Re: Is Akka (cvs) working?

Salaam Muhammed,
Well, swig is already python ready. So you can actually have both perl AND
python as Akka front-ends (the idea of using swig on the client side was to
make it possible to develop client interfaces and dashboards etc, in
everyone's favorite language with a minimum effort, it had been conceived to
make it as extensible as it could be - but the problem seems that no one has
taken advantage of it so it might not be needed in the end). The reason I
mentioned C was that you would directly code the client out of the generated
corba C interface. Now, if you mean calling the corba interface directly
from a python client, then you can do that too of course, there's nothing in
favor of any language or another. In fact that could be done in perl too and
bypass the C-perl through swig interfacing. The only limitation of that is
simply that it would be harder to add scripting languages on the client
side, but as I just said, no one is taking advantage of it, so...
Anyway, for what you want to do, and assuming we are keeping corba, you
really don't need to dwell on fribidi or the whole daemon server code, you
just need to understand the client side (which means only the IDL
interface), which is trivial (in other words, if you have grips of corba
with python it should only take you a few minutes to create a configuration
script for your daemon or to start coding your own nifty client).
So as first steps, I suggest:
- if you never used corba and python: here are a few tutorials (I have no
idea what they're worth, I have no knowledge of python, one of the folks to
ask for more pointers here is Mohamad Elzubeir as far as python goes)
http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~alan/CORBA/Tutorials/Introduction/Tutorial_Python_1.html
http://www.uk.research.att.com/omniORB/omniORBpy/tutorial/
- now if you know corba, then your life is magnitudes easier and you can
already start coding, just check the akka IDL file, you should implement
your client/configuration simply by calling the methods on the interface, I
guess it shouldn't take you more than a few minutes.

Moe (Elzubeir) or Youssef or whoever is currently maintaining the arabeyes
site, have you kept my old arabeyes page somewhere, it contained good
pointers for those who wanted to hack Akka?
Later!