Re: Oracle and Arabic

--- Arafat Mohamed <amohamed lallygag net> wrote:

> I have an Oracle 8i database with some Arabic text in it. I know it's
> being stored correctly, because I have a jsp page that extracts the data
> and displays it correctly on my webpage. I was wondering if any of you
> could recommend a tool I can use to run queries on the DB and view
> arabic text.

You need to find out what encoding the data is stored in (note encoding
on the webpage - CP1256 (windows' proprietary) or UTF-8 ?).

> So far I have tried TOAD and TORA and they both return either question
> marks or giberish.  Is there maybe a setting somewhere I am missing?
> I've also tried Oracle's built in tool and that doesn't work either.

I'm not familiar with Oracle, but I highly recommend you use UTF-8
as your encoding of choice (Oracle is capable of that).  To view the
data then, you simply need an application capable of displaying
Arabic UTF-8 (mlterm comes to mind).  If you want to access the
info try perl's DBI (which supports Oracle) so you might want to
give that a look (check google).  Before diving into the database
though, make sure you can display stand-alone Arabic properly
first and foremost.

Hope that helps.