Re: PrayerTime Library

--- Thamer Mahmoud <neokuwait at hotmail dot com> wrote:
> Nadim Shaikli writes:
>
>  > I have a couple of notes with regard to its command-line user interface
>  > (this would be mostly directed to you Thamer),
>  >
>  >  1. Currently to enter one's location one has to modify the prayert.c
>  >     file and recompile.
>  >
>  >  2. The code as it stands now is not really a library.  The API and
>  >     the variable passing and access needs a bit more tightening (such
>  >     as access to n1/n2/n3, etc).
>
> Thanks Nadim. I'm new at this, and library creation is an uncharted
> land for me, so any feedback or suggestions are highly appreciated.

I'm not the right person either, but we can ask for help and hope that
some library masters (Behdad for instance :-) could lend a hand and point
us in the right direction and tell us what to do and not do - that's the
whole point of being on a mailing-list and being part of a community :-)
Behdad, any feedback ?

> I'm not sure what the plans are for the ITL project now that we have
> hijri and prayer code. My speculations and suggestions, and correct me
> if I'm wrong here, is that we need to complete these two tasks:
>
> 1- Create a shared library (hypothetically named libprayer) which
>    should be packaged separatly from any program. The same goes to
>    the hijri code either in a separate library or included in the same
>    library as the prayer code (libitl?).
>
>    Is this appropriate for such code or would it be an overkill to the
>    task at hand (considering the small size of the code)?

Yup, that's the whole idea - we'd like to have two (I think) separate
libraries and then possibly combine them into a single entity irrespective
of size of code.  The API call(s) and variable passing needs to be crisp
and should result in a genuine bona-fide "ITL" library.  What you have in
mind is what we ought to be shooting for.

> 2- Develop a beefed up "prayert" that would depend on libprayer. The
>    feature list should include all the features suggested above plus a
>    daemon mode to work as a command line preyer notifier.
>
> If that's the plan then I'd be interested in doing (1) but not (2) at
> the moment, at least not before (1) is in a usable "shared library"
> state.

Great, so continue on #1 above and I'll take care of #2

> BTW Nadim, you have all permissions to modify the prayert.c file, but
> before doing so, please rename the original one to prayert-demo.c or
> something since it was designed as a simplistic example of using the
> prayer code.

OK, I'll rename the orig to 'demo-prayerapp.c' or similar and continue
working on 'prayertime.c' then.  Don't be hesitant to ask questions esp.
with regard to how to package the library, etc.

Keep this great work going & salam.