Re: Change of Mood?

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 03:28, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> --- Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj <aalarfaj at gmail dot com> wrote:
[...]
> > Nadim once proposed that a large number of people try putting in a
> > concentrated effort on each individual project until it is done, and then
> > this same large group moves on to the next project and so on. What
> > currently have is specific projects tied to specific groups, with some
> > individuals working more than one project at the same time.
>
> I agreed with the idea then and I fully agree with it now.  I promised that
> I'd post to the developer list asking for this direction and I'll inshalla
> do this in the next couple of days, feel free to do the same with the 'doc'
> crowd and start with wordlist ;-)

Wordlist is a hard sell. Gnome provides instant satisfaction in the form
actually seeing our work being shipped off to the Gnome mothership and then
used in the upcoming 2.12.

> > I also got another suggestion. Elections are coming up. Doesnt look like
> > anyone will run. Nobody wants a yoke of responsibility around his neck
> > for an entire year. What if we make the Core term 6 months? A faster
> > Coreite turnover cycle will help in bringing in more of that
> > all-important new blood, plus those who got tired of the job can catch a
> > break for 6 months and then get back into the thick of things. Also,
> > those who have fears of commitment might be more encouraged to run for
> > Core when they know its a 6 month contract instead of a yearlong one.
>
> I don't think the duration is an issue and to be completely honest 6-months
> is too short of a period and is not worth the headache (setting-up all
> the account, moving over things, etc, etc).  I would though continue to
> think that querying people and pushing them to think about 'core' would
> be a good/positive thing.
[...]

6 months is too short but a year is gruelling. Setting up the accounts
shouldnt be that hard, and moving over things... whats to be moved over? How
about we script it? We can write a "Core/Decore" script that runs all the
appropriate commands to add a new Core member. Add his account, subscribe him
to the appropriate mailing lists, change his status on mysql, all that stuff.

How about we poll the idea? Hear what others think? We can pose a question
like "Would you run for Core if it was only a 6 month term instead of a 1
year term?".

Salam,

Abdulaziz,