Re: Charter additions

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 02:25, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> Here is the promised blurbs to be added to the charter (once agreed
> upon, I'd like to translate the entire charter into english as well).
>
> Elections:
> - Elections are held every X months to determine 'core' members
>   (ie. Arabeyes' managers).

6/12 months?

> - Elections are voted on by Arabeyes CVS holding account members
>   (1 person yields one vote per 'core' seat).  For instance, if
>   'core' is constituted by 5 members, each CVS holder is to cast
>   5 votes (a vote per seat) to different individuals (or parts
>   there-of).

Too confusing. Not all members have joined at the same exact date (nor
should there be a date for it). If it was a single position, that would
have been fine to have an election date. However, for a committee-style
election, I think it should be per member's expiration of his term.

Anyhow, it took me 3-reads of the above to understand what you were
saying.

> - Each voter is to get an email confirmation noting his selections.
> - Only CVS holding account members are allowed to be candidates
>   (ie. run for election)

I am not sure I want any CVS committer to have the right to vote. I
would rather have project maintainers vote only.. or major contributors.
This is a tough one actually. Would you allow someone with 1 cvs commit
to vote? Or only those who are listed in the people page (recently
active)? Or anyone who has ever had cvs commit access?

> - Candidates can run (an rerun) for elections as many times as they
>   like (there are no limits).
> - Elections are to be held on Arabeyes' website.
> - The candidates with the highest raw number of votes that constitute
>   'core' are elected.
> - If a subset of 'core' members are elected (due to zero votes),
>   the newly elected 'core' group recruits its remaining members
>   within 2 weeks of election results.
> - If fraud (multi-voting/counter-error/hacks) is detected, the
>   elections are voided until such a time as the problem is fixed.
>   'core' is to remain as it were prior to the elections maintaining
>   its duties until elections are re-held.
> - All notices, results, debates (if any) are to take place in an
>   open public forum (preferably the "general" mailing-list) to give
>   any candidates equal opportunity to reply and/or voice their opinion.

The rest sounds fine to me.

> [..]
>

> Let me know if I missed anything and/or if something is out
> of whack.

Nah.. but I get the feeling this is going to turn ugly since it will
become political. Maybe political is better than seeming elitist.

Regards,
Mohammed Elzubeir