Harddrive Blues

Salam,

It looks like we have been cursed with harddrive problems.
We started off with 4 harddrives (2x1.2gb,700mb,400mb) and
then moved on to 2 9gb scsi's (and retaining 1 of the 1.2
gb for the base system). Then that failed (one of the SCSI's
failed).. This was probably during our longest down-time
ever (since it happened with a whole other set of problems
at the same time).

I ended up sticking my personal harddrive (40gb WD) and
that seemed to have worked well enough. Until today.
I have never actually seen this before, it says on
boot-up: S.M.A.R.T. status BAD - backup and replace
One can't help but smile.

We currently have around $70 (yup, Arabeyes actually has
money now ;).. I am going to spend that money on buying
a harddrive (unless you have better suggestions).
Very simply, I do not have the money to replace this
myself.

One of the items on the donation page says some number
around 180 something dollars. That is the price for
the base machine that Arabeyes runs from. It is property
of the project as far as I'm concerned.. just like
this new purchase would be.

I am going to make the order by Sunday. I know it's
short notice.. but I don't know how much longer this
WD harddrive can hold on (I'm eyeing a Seagate at
the moment).

later
---
Was I helpful? Let others know: