Re: fribidi & arabic shaping

Salam ..
  If I may throw some thoughts and words .. It seems that Pongo got the
solution .. and Nadim wants to have another alternative solution .. I may be
un aware of Pongo and its implementation .. but could it be used in a non-GUI
application .. like could we implement pongo with mutt ? or with Emacs ?

Another thing .. About Pongo geating dead .. well the Gnome people won't
depend on a dead project for thier GTK ! so as long as Gnome is depending in
Pongo it seems to be very dependable .. I just checked the pongo.org page and
it was Last modified in 08-Mar-2002, which and got Pongo 1.0 released. so the
dead has got awake..

About BIDI .. I didn't see Pongo in action to say the truth .. but sure I did
NOT like QT3 bidi implementation .. specialy the fact that RTL and LTR is
automaticly set (an unwanted feature) depending on the first character in the
line .. I noticed that when dealing with Kbabel in KDE 3 where lines that
start with a latin letter can not be viewd RTL ( althogh it has proper BIDI
and can be readable) ..

Now The options you are discussing are:
1- add shaping to fribidi
2- use pongo
3- make a fribidi-dependant shaping library

it seems that fribidi is starting to be the standard for bidi in general ..
and pongo is getting more spotlight as GTK depend on it.. and getting our own
shaping library implemented in EVERY software is almost imposible ..

I think that getting shaping to fribidi although bringing benefits, it will
get fribidi out of what it initialy was for.. and I do not think that the
fribidi people will approve that.. imagine integrating VIM to be a word
processor instead of a text editor :-)

I think that is Pongo got all what we need then pongo would be the solution..
as it is intended to address issues such as shaping .. we should contact the
pongo maintainer and see if there is any known issues for Arabic shaping, or
TODO items related to arabic shaping, and get our hands on it ..

--
Yours,
Isam Bayazidi