Re: fribidi & arabic shaping

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 04:24:09PM -0800, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> I appreciate you taking this off-line, its best if we have a common stance
> regarding issues.  As for what I'm getting at -- I agree with you 100% that
> pango could and will do the job.  The point is that not many people out there

If this is not a question of feasibility and just a desirable option, I
find no merit in it. I understand that asking authors to adopt FriBiDi
and Pango is more difficult than requesting one or the other.

However, most developers would rather include something that is
comprehensive as opposed to something that serves one language or the
other. Pango does a lot more than just Arabic, and that is why it is the
way to go for anyone who wants to i18n their application.

To conclude, we would be doing the world a disservice by pushing for
fribidi to have Arabic shaping while instead we should be pushing for
Pango.

later

P.S. Btw, I think this discussion should have continued on the
'developer' list as per the 'openness' intiative.