Re: Mutual Cooperation

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 02:55:44PM -0500, Isam Bayazidi wrote:

>   He is asking for a word processor, we do NOT have an Arabic word processor
> indeed, but we know that Koffice with QT3 ( released in june) does have
> Arabic support, and Arabic interface thanks to Arabeyes translators efforts..
> Chahine knows a group that is working in OpenOffice to make it have proper
> Arabic support.. LyX ( a productive publishing apllication) as well have
> Arabic support with flaws .. and they all run in Linux, FreeBSD, and in MacOS
> X to some extent that I am not aware of ..

Hrmm.. not to mention Abiword, which btw, does have bidi support.

>   Something else, if ZEINE is interested in Arabization efforts in Linux,
> they would support the LUG of Jordan, and that on the other hand would help
> Arabeyes as well (Userbases such as LUGs are great for recruting and so).
> (ZEINE is based in Amman)

I'm not sure I can deduct interest in Linux, but more of word processing
for the Mac OS.

> and what they need, and so .. ofcourse I am not to make any decisions before
> refering back to core .. I will contact him in a personal level for better
> communication reasons ( and because I am exsited to see com. in Amman
> interested in Arabization, linux and so)

I think it would be fine if you contact him by phone. I will email him
and let him know that you are our contact person and that you will
contact him by phone.

However, I would like to point out that it is probably not a good idea
to ask them (suggest to them) to support LUG's and so on. See what kind
of cooperation they are looking for, and what kind of work they are
looking into. They are most interested in dictionaries and
spell-checking. So.. make it a 'test the water' kind of call.

later