From: unicode-bounce at unicode dot org [mailto:unicode-bounce at unicode dot org]On
Behalf Of James Tu
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 11:15 PM
To: unicode at unicode dot org
Subject: Arabic numbers

I apologize if this is slightly off topic...

We are working on a kid's website that targets 5 languages and one of
them is Arabic.  We were wondering whether we should be using
0123456789 (arabic numbers) vs ٠١٢٣٤٣٥٦٧٨٩ (indian numbers,
I found out that the real Arabic numbers are called indian
numbers. :)  )  This will mostly be used when a user is entering and
ID number to log into the site.

On an Arabic keyboard, there is the 'normal' row of arabic numbers
0123456789.  But on the same keys they have the corresponding indian
numbers, used for Arabic.
Can anyone help me understand the usage pattern for Arabic speakers
with these hybrid keyboards.  (supposedly, some people doing research
found that kids learn Indian numbers and then start using Arabic
0123456789 numbers later)
- When an Arabic speaker uses their computer and when she types
numbers, does the operating system default to 0123456789, or does it
default to Arabic numbers?

How 'bad' would it be if we required that kids use 0123456789?

-James