Re: Arabic Unicode

Dear Afief,

From your message I understand that you guys are using the Unicode Standard as a glyph list for font construction.

From a Unicode point of view, the regular Arabic characters are te obe found in the U06xx and U07xx areas only. The Presentation Forms located in uFxxx should be tota;lly ignored.

As for the internal encoding of your glyphs to work as an open type font, anything is allowed as long as the front end - the input - works with regular Arabic Unicode. For instance, you can build any internal bridges and supports for vowels or other diacritics, but you have to take care that they are not reflected on the outside as text code.

Plase compare the discussion below on the Typophile panel where similar issues are discussed:
http://www.typophile.com/node/16858

I hope this helps,

Best regards,

Thomas Milo
DecoType

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2007 2:14 AM
Subject: Arabic Unicode

Hello mr.Milo,

Me and a few other guys have been working on the Arabeyes font collection(www.arabeyes.org), up until now it has generally only been fixing the anchors for the diacritics, but now that we're finally done with that part and the new version is being tested for release we ran into something we didn't understand and hoped you could help.

The unicode glyphs uniFC5E - uniFC63 are defined in the unicode standards as follows:

FC5E: ARABIC LIGATURE SHADDA WITH DAMMATAN ISOLATED FORM <Space><Dammatan><Shaddah>

The first thing we thought those glyphs were for was ligatures to make working with a Shaddah easier(as in not having to put the shaddah extra high on all letter so we could fit in the Kasra with Mark2Mark Anchors) but the <Space> in the definition is kind of confusing to us. Could you tell us what the "right" use for those glyphs should be?

Also there appears to be no ligature for Shadda with Fathatan in the unicode definition, is there something we have overlooked?

Thanks in advance,
Afief Halumi