Re: Project Arabbix II Goals Discussion

Hello Anmar,

Am 2006-10-07 23:03:32, schrieb Anmar Oueja:
> Salam Guys:

> own since my knowledge of the ME is rather limited.  For a person who
> hasn't been in an Arabic speaking country in 20 years, I am hardly an

;-)

> To help focus the discussion I have the following goals that I believe
> are necessary:
>
> 1. Must be installable on the HD
> 2. Must have Parted (parition editor for Fat32, NTFS, EXT2, etc)
> 4. Must have Arabic instructions on how to use the LiveCD and what you
> can do with it
> 5. Must have a light environment (XFCE4 for example) for all those 486s
> out there in the ME. In addition to GNOME of course.

This will be a problem, since not a singel 486 has a botable CD.

If you want to copy the LIVE-System to a harddisk, how do you
want to do that?  -  Offering a Rescue/Boot-Floppy?

> 6. Must have the computer science students in mind. Maybe bundling some
> books on linux (Arabic one would be great) or tutorials.
> 7. Must have OpenOffice 2.0.x for Windows in the CD so non Linux users
> can get it

You are talking about 486 and then OOo 2.0 for Windows on CD...

I have many 486/P1 which CAN NOT read 700 MByte CD's.
Please keep that in mind.

I have the same problem with the PARSIX 0.85 CD which hat
680 MByte and TEAC CD-532(A,E,EK,S)

So HOW do you want to put all on a 650 MByte CD?

> 8. Should promote the spirit of volunteering and Arabeyes

;-)

> 9. Should have Arabic based art (regardless of religion)
> 10.Must be based on Ubuntu (due to ease of setup and the Debian connection)

:-/

This would not work on a 486 and even a P1/266 will kill your last nerv!

> Please don't take my Musts as written-in-stone. I say Must because I

:-)

> strongly believe in the need. However, all issues are up for discussion.

OK, you have gotten my comments...

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)