project proto proposals

Hi all,

I have two suggestions.

First is to expand the scope of Arabeyes from Linux/Unix to Free/Open software. Many (probably most) of us will not have the option of using Linux/Unix, at least not at work, no matter how well it supports Arabic. But we do have the option of using Arabic-enabled applications on Windows.

So I propose that Arabeyes change from "The Arabic Unix Project" to something like "The Project for Free/Open Computing in Arabic". The operating system should not be the focus; after all, these days many if not most open source projects are OS agnostic, and usually even end up supporting Windows. The focus should be first on Arabic support, and second on portability.

For end-users, the Arabeyes proposal then becomes "no matter what your operating system is, we can help you compute in Arabic with free/open software, and most of it will be cross-platform as well, so that you can later switch to a different OS and your computing environment will look the ssame." For developers, the proposal is "we can help you enable Arabic support regardless of your target OS, and we'll also help you make sure your app is portable across OS's."

Now my second proposal is a little more concrete. I've been looking into RDF since last winter, and although I'm still learning it looks like a very promising and useful technology. (Lots of RDF info at http://www.w3.org; I recommend the Primer at http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/Primer.html) So the idea I have for Arabeyes is to create an RDF vocabulary for describing the Arabic capabilities of software. Given a piece of software like a text editor, one needs to know basic things like which charsets it supports, does it support arabic shaping, etc., but one would also like to know which platforms it works on, whether it supports local date/time formats, sorting/searching, etc. Also whether the GUI is fully R-to-L and in Arabic, if help files are translated, etc. etc.

What got me thinking about this is that last winter I spent a lot of time researching diff programs and xml editors trying to find good Arabic support. So I ended up with a checklist of products and capabilities. I didn't know it at the time but RDF is perfectly suited for that kind of metadata.

For Arabeyes, development of an "Arabic-Capabilities" RDF vocabulary could potentially make it much easier to find and evaluate Arabic-enabled free/open software. If it were successful (easy to use and understand, I guess), then software developers could start including such info with each release.

Naturally I don't have much time at the moment but I thought I'd throw out the idea and see if anybody else likes it.

Whaddya think?

-gregg