Re: tanween details

On Friday 24 June 2005 21:50, Thomas Milo wrote:

> > Seems to me that this text, from the authoritative contemporary
> > grammar of Arabic, provides pretty strong justification for encoding
> > a tanween codepoint in Unicode.
>
> Still it would be nice to have a second source for this. Nevertheless, it
> helps me to move back towards the idea of a tanwiin codepoint, which IMHO
> logically leads to a tamwiim and an idghaam point.

Hi Thomas

I was going to say that in a sense there already is a tamweem codepoint but
it's misnamed as a small meem  and that it's ikhfaa that's missing (that you
want sequential fatha for).

But of course the glyph for 'sequential fatha' is also used (in the saudi
mushaf anyway) with idghaam of the tanween. The idghaam of the tanween (or
final nuun) is then followed by a 'tajweedii' tashdeed of the following
initial letter  (y/r/m/l/w/n)  except for the yaa'  (for some reason which
I'd love to know).

Incidentally we also have idghaam with similar glyphic effects in places such
as 'qul rabbii' where the laam is pronounced as raa' and the raa' is marked
as mushaddada. Also e.g. '`abbadta' with  the daal pronounced as a taa' and
tashdeed of the taa'.

Abdulhaq