Re: Proposal for the Basis of a Codepoint ExtensiontoUnicodeforthe Encoding of the Quranic Manuscripts

>This is a serious concern. The best solution would be a dedicated effort by
>the open source community to build a new OT parser, so that you can deal
>with problems without red tape.

Actually it seems that the Gnome community has already built an OpenType parser and a rendering engine that supports some advanced typographic features. It even has this auto-hinting feature that even Uniscribe doesn't have. Meor could tell us more.

I don't know if all Linux distributions today bundle this OpenType parser and rendering engine but the distribution that Meor is using to test (Ubuntu I think) has it bundled. See here:
http://www.pakistanopensource.org/projects/quran/files/compare.jpg

Regards,
Mete

--