Re: Tanween variants and Unicode

Meor Ridzuan Meor Yahaya wrote:
What I suspect is Fontlab's implementation of the GSUB table that have
problems. I've seen Fontlab under windows (Demo version) reading
arabic fonts, displaying some wierd GSUB table structure. I'm not sure
how the Mac version works.  Maybe you can show me some of your work
and I'll try to find out what is the problem.

That would be great. I'm relatively new at making fonts, although I studied the TT and OT specs quite a bit. I know that FontLab uses Adobe's OT dev kit, so it should work properly, but who knows. I probably won't be able to send you anything till the weekend or even later.

Ideally, I think it would be good to package GPL fonts with textual OT and TT hinting files. I expect to look into using the tools from http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~slam/fonts/. In principle one should be able to add OT tables to any font, without needing a full font/glyph editor, if I understand things correctly.

So it looks like we really need to write an OT Service provider to work
with Freetype.  Anybody game?  I've started looking at the Freetype
code; it's very clean and well-organized, and they have a bunch of OT
stuff that they're migrating out of FT, since it is outside of the scope
of FT.

I don't think we need to create one, Pango and ICU is out there. We
just need to improve it to get it all right.

I'll have to look into those further, I guess. I suspect I'm thinking of something much simpler, though. I understand Pango and ICU try to provide a complete text mgmt system, whereas I'm just thinking of something like an enhancement to Freetype - take a string of chars, and return a string of glyphs after performing OT stuff. Maybe return some datastructure that indicates the mapping from char to glyph. If Pango implements something like this as a clean component then that would be the place to start, I guess.

-gregg