Re: Re: Unicode Font Maker

Thomas,
Are you suggesting that the font is a tremendous improvement because
the font does not have any ligature? This is a sincere questions, not
to belittle you. I would like to share my experience in this regards.
Although I'm neither a professional font developer nor expert in the
field, I do find a problem with fonts without ligature. Of course ,
this can be solve, but need some consideration.

Actually, I've done some work on this to the extend that all typical
ligature is replaced, and I would say the font I develop is good. The
font does have more alternatives then just lam alef sequence. I've
sent a screenshot of the font to Mete, and Gregg if I'm not mistaken.
The positive point about it is that software will be able to display
an individual glyph with different colors. Plus, this approach will
definately works under Linux without any problems. So, that is the
plus side.
On the other hand, with this type of font, we will need some serious
work when trying to justify a text /paragraph. Paul Nelson describe on
Microsoft page that IE 5.5 supposedly have 3 mode for arabic
justification: inter-word, tatweel and newspaper (if I'm not mistaken)
Anyway, basically here's how the 3 mode should work:
1. Inter word: inserting spaces between words. This is the most
typical type of justification for any script.
2. Tatweel : this is specific to arabic, and the most common method for arabic.
3. Newspaper : spaces inserted inter-word and some intra-word. I'm not
so sure if tatweel is used.

Anyway, that's the theory. When I try to use it (by using CSS), guess
what? The inter-word key does not work! It still insert tatweel here
and there. So, what is the problem? Just imagine a tatweel inserted
between lam and alef ! That is just an example, althgouh they might be
smart enough not to do that. Anyway, I can confirmed that tatweel will
be inserted , and we can't really control it. So, maybe not for lam
alef, but sequence like yeh reh will difinitely be effected. And is
does look wierd.

After I found this problem, I stop further improving the font. I hope
this can be solved, but not sure how. Of course, this is not a major
issue, bt I do not want to waste my time much on something that might
not work. Just want to share my experience  with people here. This is
one of the reason why I mentioned before that I really would like to
see people work seriously on Arabic justification problem.

Regards.