Re: Charset API for C++

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 16:51, Lemine Abdallahi wrote:

> I didnt say it is necessary to have an implementation for each programming
> language. But , what about a repository of templates for implementing
> "basic" input output operations following the recommendations described here
> :
>
> http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distros/sais-en/asl.html
>
> and here
>
> http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distros/sais-en/asl-apps.html
>
> Issuing recommendations is good, giving examples, building blocks or
> libraries that conform to these recommendations is better ...
> By the way, excellent job, M. Muhammad Alkarouri !!

You are right. Though, what you are asking for specifically is something
that is often a part of a bigger library and I have not seen it all by
itself except in libiconv [1] (and even that, does more than what you
need). I believe Katoob [2] uses libiconv as well.

> This repository may be filled through user (developper) contributions ...
> for future projects benefit.

Then start a wiki [3] page and others will update it as things like that
come up ;)

Off-Topic: I love it when people quote documents from Arabeyes -- it
means they have done their homework ;)

> Sure, Unicode is THE STANDRARD. I agree with you. But , for a novice
> developper, It is always frustrating to reimplement everything from
> scratch ...

Again, you are right.. I just think character conversion is too simple
to have to write about it. You may consider it to be important and you
may very well be right -- the best thing to do is to follow some of the
above mentioned suggestions.

It is also worth noting that you should be aware of the LAM ALEF issue
[4] in iconv.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/
[2] http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=katoob
[3] http://wiki.arabeyes.org/