Configuring a Mail server (was Re: I decided to retire to give a chance to others)

On Thursday 06 May 2004 11:45 am, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
>  --- Youcef Rabah Rahal <rahal at arabeyes dot org> wrote: > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED
> MESSAGE-----
>
> > Nadim/Anmar (I'm speaking to the real one now ;), we really need to fix
> > these
> >
> > spoofed/forged emails issue.
> >
> > I took a look at the header and this email has definitely a problem.
>
> It has a problem. 212.71.54.151 and 212.71.63.49 are spoofed IPs.
>
> > BTW, to whoever is doing this stupidity, details in your email show that
> > it is
> > definitely not Nadim who is writing this (to those who know him just a
> > bit).
>
> The person is connecting to the internet on dial-up, as he/she used two
> different IPs (DHCP) from within the range of NESMA isp, in Saudi Arabia.
> Cooperation from NESMA will get him/her from the logs immediately.

Karouri, if someone wants to do this in purpose, he will do it from an
Internet Cafe not from his home of course.

> As the person is definitely monitoring Arabeyes (probably a member in it),
> please tell us who you are and what is your point.

my point is just to run a test but haven't done it in a responsible way.
Sorry.

> Probably the Arabeyes server needs some kind of smtpd_sender_restrictions.

and sasl auth is a must nowadays. Something like:

# server
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
  permit_sasl_authenticated, check_relay_domains

should do the job.

karouri, I need help in configuring my email server for the purpose of
learning. I installed cyrus-imap and postfix.

I tried to add lines such as these but failed

mailbox_transport = "lmtp:unix:/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp"
mailbox_transport = cyrus
home_mailbox = .Maildir/
mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp
local_transport = cyrus

My postfix works. My imap server works. The problem is how can I convince
postfix to deliver the messages to /var/spo	ol/imap/[a-z]/ depending on the
sender. It seems cyrus-imap needs the messages to be here.

I intentionally put the question here so may be Arabeyes admins loves to share
an opinion. Otherwise, I will make it private.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of Mandrake Arabization Project Status
http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distros/mdkarabicsupport-en/
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA