Re: Suse 9.1 : arabic websites illegible

On Friday, July 23, 2004, at 01:48 AM, Petra dot Duenges at t-online dot de wrote:

a closer examination of the fonts with a unicode charset table tool
revealed
that the font examined (ae_alMohanad) does not contain the
"Arabic Presentation Forms A"
block of unicode. I suspect that this is part of the problem since some
of
the strange signs occuring on the problematic webpages are rendered
with fonts containing those presentation forms.

Perhaps in 9.1 version, SuSE removed the 'complete' arabic fonts from their package. You might try to list 8.2's fonts package and compare with the 9.1 package's. Or perhaps, the complete arabic fonts package are included only on Professional version.

From my experience, newer version of SuSE often removing some package which included in older version due to license issue.

From my point of view, the alternatives are:
1. You use the good-old SuSE 8.2
2. Install SuSE 8.2, make sure that arabic websites are displayed well. Upgrade to SuSE 9.1 for core packages only (kernel, libraries, etc.)
3. Use SuSE 9.1 from scratch and 'update packages' related to arabic support with SuSE 8.2 package.
--

--jim.