Re: Open Issues & Todos

--- Munzir Taha <munzirtaha at newhorizons dot com dot sa> wrote:
> Secretely, I took the responsipility/ownership of this task and think I
> managed to find a very nice solution.
>
> This task is:
>  - Content Management System (CMS) Arabization
>    + CMS's like phpnuke/postnuke/xoops/etc use CP-1256 and NOT UTF-8
>    + Need to instruct module owners to NOT use CP-1256 and use UTF-8 instead
>      - This is very important as more and more people opt to use CMS
>      - UTF-8 should be the default option at a min
>      - Current implementations don't even allow one to use UTF-8 Arabic
>    + Need to stress the importance of UTF-8 esp. for open source projects
>    --> Involved:
>        = NONE
>    --> Status/Plan:
>        = Someone needs to look into this and report back (take ownership)
>
> The answer is Drupal. (http://www.drupal.org/)

Munzir, there was no "right" answer to this task.  We need, as is noted,
to educate those developers to use UTF-8 encodings and make that the
default.  You might love drupal while others might not, the net is filled
with Arabic phpnuke/postnuke/xoops/etc sites and they are all CP-1256
(including linux4arab and other so-called opensource advocates primarily
due to short-comings in the packages).  In short, an educational campaign
and a mass mailing to the package developers and contributors is needed
to "force" them to revert to UTF-8 as a default.