Re: bugs need info/confirmation

--- Munzir Taha <munzirtaha at newhorizons dot com dot sa> wrote:
> I noticed these odd bugs and need you to confirm and give more info
> if any before filing a bug
>
> In kmail:
> Tools -> Find messages
> Won't search for Arabic text!!

I don't use Kmail, but I know someone that does (Mr. Al-Rasheedan :-)
If this is true though, this very much needs to be fixed (as it is a
serious bug).

> Hinid numberals are not numbers in linux!! I think Behdad has said
> something like this before but it's just now I notice this:
>
> In kppp:
>   If I type the phone number in Hindi numerals ????? ??? ???
>   e.g. It won't dial properly.
>
> In kspread:
>   Hindi numerals won't be considered numbers. They won't add/subtract/..
>
> This is very serious and we need to whether a bug is filed somewhere
> so we can all vote. What component is responsible of this? Fribidi?

FriBidi has nothing to do with this - Bidi (fribidi, minibidi, etc) are
strictly there to make sure the data is "displayed" correctly (keep in
mind that Bidi stands for Bidirectionality).  My guess is that these
applications do not relate the Hindi numbers as numbers at all.  They,
and I'm guessing here, simply look at them as odd foreign characters.
You, again guessing :-), will have to tell the application authors to
relate (ie. substitute) proper numbers for those hindi ones internally.

BTW: I'm not sure if this is an application(s) bug or something the
     locale needs to be involved in.  In other words, I'm not sure
     where this intercept and substitution is to happen - you might
     want to keep that in mind when you bring up the subject with the
     application authors (or someone in the know).