Re: Marketing/PR cont'd

--- Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:
[SNIP]
>  3. Suggest concrete/detailed content for the newbie
> presentations.
>     Ossama.K, you have had content with newbies
> about linux and had
>     taught/presented on the topic; could you lend a
> hand in terms of
>     content and what sort of areas people gravitated
> towards and what
>     they wanted to know more about.

The people I had the last time were of UNIX
background, and Windogz users too, though didn't know
about and were afraid of Linux for some reason! They
thought it's just a dumb OS with a CLI _only_ that
couldn't do much, but is free!!!
Those people were interested in a 'How-to do it' kind
of presentation. They kept asking How-tos about:
  - Linux Administration (in general).
  - Desktop/applications features.
  - Easyness of use and experience needed .. etc.

Some of the good points presented would be:
  a. A brief, concise introduction to GNU, FSF and
    Arabeyes.
    - History, goals, license.
  b. An overview of features and advantages.
    - This is because most of them will compare it to
      Windogz.
  c. Arabized tutorials and How-tos.
  d. Arabic supporting resources (sites, apps, and
  other stuff).

This is what I have in mind so far.
The reason why I mentioned point (a) is that newbies
would first say:"Now it's free! but who knows if it
would stay this way?".
When I was explaining the content of the GPL (in
brief) to the students, they were amazed in the way it
is created. Day after day (in one week only) they were
impressed by the amount of support, and powerful tools
available.
Finally, for me to be able to distribute Arabbix here
in Kuwait, I would need such a document (about free
license) for shops to present it as a proof of
non-pirated software, in case of a raid.

I hope this is useful.

regards,
Ossama Khayat