Re: [discuss] M$/partner/linux!!

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 23:37, Ossama Khayat wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> See how M$ is concerned about Linux!
> http://www.microsoft.com/partner/linux/

I have this CD as it was sent to all MS partners (I think). Yes we do MS
systems, best way to get Linux into schools ;-)

Basically the CD is just a load of marketing waffle and sales
propositions for resellers. Maybe the resellers will eventually realise
that if they cut MS out of the loop there is actually more money and
business for them ;-). I sell a PC with Windows and MS Office and the
customer pays $200 in software licenses. (Academic volume license and
OEM Win) My M$ distributor gets maybe $5 I get $5 and MS get $190. I
sell a PC with Linux and OO.o and the customer saves $200 and so buys  a
$200 support contract I make 30% so $60 and the customer gets proper
support. Duh,,no-brainer except MS partners don't seem to have any
brains :-)

Of course the snag is that if your techs only know MS you are stuffed
which is great for companies like mine because we have competitive
advantage in a niche market that is growing rapidly. Shhh don't tell
anyone ;-)

--
ian <ian dot lynch2 at ntlworld dot com>