[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Mandrake's issues (was - distro project...)]]

This is Mr. Pablo response
--- Begin Message ---
Kaixo!

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:09:48AM +0000, Munzir wrote:
> This is the response of Arabeyes mailing list regarding the font issue

> > I think its more than the 23 characters Pablo mentions - you need to
> > account for their variations as well (in presentation Form-A, I'm

I talked about characters; but of course arabic script needs several glyphs
(2 or 4 depending on characters) per character.

> > guessing).  In other words, look for the above glyph encodings in,
> >
> >    http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0600.pdf
> >    http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/UFB50.pdf
> >
> > What is required here is someone that is aware of the requirements
> > that is able to read/modify/write font files - or at a min someone

I supposed the people that build the arabic fonts are aware of the
requirement, and are obviously able to modify the files; with the above
samples from unicode.org it should be doable.
The glyphs may not be perfect in some cases; but still much better than
no glyph at all (=> empty box) as it is now.

> I agree Nadim, there are about four glyphs required for each of those
> missing characters, which makes the matter a little hard. Also, most of
> the those fonts do not really look beautiful to a Persian or Urdu
> reader.

The problem is for the interface widget (buttons, menus etc) a strictly
horizontal baseline, with high lisibility, is better; even if it doesn't
match the usual way Farsi or Urdu are written.
Note also that the goal is for the default font, the one that will be
used trough the pseudo-font named "Sans".
Users can install and use other fonts better suiting their needs;
but it is important that they can at least read what the system displays
the first time the computer is turned on.

> BTW, we (FarsiWeb) are working on our Persian fonts, which we will
> release soon, some as GPL, some with a license like Bitstream Vera.

Do you have a schedule yet?
We have a quite good translation level of Farsi for the upcoming
Mandrake Linux 9.2, it would help if we could include at least one font
fully covering Farsi.

Thanks