Arabization^H^H^H^H

Hello

Mohammed Sameer, Alaa Abdel Fatah and I went to the Ain Shams University
conference about language engineering. We were first there and according
to the schedual we were the last before the `holy' lunch break. After
several minutes we discovered that there is a computer ready for us to
exhibit Arabbix. After an hour or so, the secertary discovered the BIOS
password `john'. Anyways, it was powered by a pentiumII 60MB RAM. After
several minutes of fiddling, the computer refused to run Arabbix. We
attended the morning sessions. They were academic babel in a big freezer
room. We were about to start shivering from the A/C! BTW, I finished
preparing my slides at 4:00am the same day, woke up at 6:30am. Alaa
didn't sleep from the day before. So both of us were two cold and
constantly yawning beings. Mohmamed was awake all night burning 10
Arabbix CDs, but he probably didn't feel very sleepy nor cold. I wonder
why.

Anyways, after the acedemic babel about how they are using statistical
spam-filtering-like tools and a couple of other hyper complicated
routines for speech recognition. They managed to influence me, as I am
of a medical background and know a tiny bit about how probably the mind
works, I was convinced that all that speech recognition stuff is going
no where. It seemed to me that one day we will find `KISS' written
somewhere on our cerebral cortex.

Oh, after the academic babel about how they are using blah and blah.
Prof. Mohamed Yoness started his part (which is a superset of ours). Two
Arabic researches discussed how Arabic is in need to be revived to the
levels of the pre-islamic times. And that no matter what, computers will
always fail infront the greatness of the arabic language. They went on
discribing how untrained translation of any text is incest. That arabic
is an untouchable language that should be cryogenically stored
indefinitley and only tampered with by super humans (read them).

Anyways, my part came to demonstrate `Open Source Arabization Efforts'.
Did I say that I was criticized before I start. One of the arabic super
humans noted my presentation headline on the projector screen several
minutes before I start. Mentioning that it is a racial thing to say
Arabization and it should be Arabicization! Stating that Arabizition is
related to Arabs and Arabicization is more related to arabic.

Oh, well back to my part. Thanks to El Zubeir's Gitex presentation, I
stoled about 14 slides of more from it :) -- My presentation will be
available publicly for anyone who wants to reuse it. I started,
perplexed by the fos7a speaking super humans. I felt I had to speak in
3amia and try to mention technical terms in arabic. Unforunatly, I
wasn't very good in the technical Arabic terms. Well, after the slides I
rebooted my laptop. Typed the necessary booting parameters to get the
recent compaq hardware to boot into linux. And few seconds later Arabbix
desktop was shining. Meanwhile, my two buddies managed two answer most
of the attacking questions from the arabic super humans on how Arabeyes
dared to translate anything without going back to them! Oh, did I say
that they criticized the name Arabeyes too. Ofcourse some questions were
OK. We finally demonstarted Arabbix and distributed 11 CDs, including my
own CD :..( And at one part I demonstrated how DIA supports arabic from
months (GTK2) and how Microsoft just anounced in gitex that they have
just included arabic support in Visio.

At the end we urged them repeatedly to help us and/or ask us more
questions on Arabeyes.org and linux-egypt.org. We were willing to
continue demonstrating our stuff during the lunch break but the
organizers kept pushing people to goto the holy lunch. They even told
students to beat it.

Thats it,
Mostafa Hussein

--
-----
Get my public cryptographic key to verify my email from: