Linux Seminar in Egypt

Here is a summary of the Linux seminar held in the Information
Technology Institute on 14/10/2003

	The Infromation Technology Institute in Giza is a goverment sponsored
institute. It provides educational courses for almost all IT aspects,
including linux courses.

	The seminar started at 9am in the morning with presentations by IBM,
American University in Cairo, Oracle and Sun. We were disappointed by
those four presenters. Alaa said in a post to linux-egypt.org
about their presentation:

``SUCKED BIG TIME'' and ``BORING''

	After the first part of the seminar there was a lunch break and thats
when all the action started. Together Alaa abd el Fatah and me stood infront
of a machine running Arabbix 0.8. Presenting both Arabbix, GNU/Linux,
arabeyes.org and linux-egypt.org to the crowds. The Linux-Egypt booth
was the busiest, like a busy stock market. Even people ignored lunch to
chat and bombard us with questions. Arabbix was an instant hit.

	Most of the questions were very basic, like can linux be installed with
windows on the same computer ? Will it open my word documents ? Where is
photoshop ? can I run 3Dmax on it, Printers, hardware, modems,
price,etc.. Our answers were mainly reassuring and we kept asking people
to visit our sites for further inquiries.

	Arabization was a major issue to most people. Arabbix, Katoob and Gimp
got lots of praise, specially gimp which made a graphic designer refuse
to attend the remaining lectures to try it out, she even pointed to us
some features in gimp 1.3 that are lacking in Adobe Photoshop.
Unfortunatly due to the limited time we couldn't get people to see more
of the applications that are bundeled with Arabbix. We were bombarded
with the questions. But nevertheless, the whole arabized interface must
have left a good impression. Alaa distributed 10 CDs of Arabbix, and I
have learned that one of the major distributer of linux distros in Giza has a
copy of Arabbix now.

	The second part of the seminar was more involving and exciting than the
coroparte first part. The Egyptian Meterological Authority (EMA)
presented its history of migratinion to linux. Secondly, Mohammed
El-Desooky presented Linux-egypt.org and Arabeyes efforts and their
acheivments. He also pointed to the rapid growth of linux in the arab
world and mentioned all the arabian LUGs as well. Alaa answered
questions about Duali, that intrested one of the attendands the most and
probably you will hear from alaa about a research paper about arabic
spelling in the upcoming days that could improve duali. Alaa also
despelled several myths about arabization on linux and met several
intresting people that have been all in there own trying to adopt linux,
in several organizations and universities.

	This seminar was a success, we think we delivered the message,
GNU/Linux is here in Egypt, there is an active community and arabic
GNU/Linux is a reality thanks to arabeyes and others. We reached out for
helpless users and showed them that they can get support and we met many
interesting and active people. There are also news about more linux
seminars and confrences poping around.

Salam,
Mostafa Hussein

--
-----
Get my public cryptographic key to verify my email from: