Re: Reaction to Arabbix-0.5

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 11:35:05 -0700 (PDT)
Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:

> 1. Need alot more mention of Arabeyes.org (I'm even thinking the
> background should be Arabeyes centric and not Arabbix - the logo alone
> is not enough and we should always mention Arabeyes.org under it
> anyways).
anmar, the second background I made (art.kerneled.com/gallery/arabeyes/)
would be perfect for this.

> 3. Everything worked (network connection/scroll-mouse, etc) except for
>    sound.  I wasn't able to get it to even beep (didn't know how to
>    debug it).  I tried to play something off the net (streaming audio)
>    and Mozilla didn't know what to do with it - do we have the
>    necessary plugins to do that installed (necessary application for
>    realaudio, MP3, etc) ?
What soundcard do you have nadim? Remember, Arabbix is using a
memory-centric filesystem. In any case, mplayer + mplayer video plugins
would not be too much to add.

> f. Username 'morph' needs to change to something arabic - I'm thinking
>    a known Arabic cartoon character or someone like 'joo7a'.
>    Something all Arabs would relate to.
I am thinking, "arabeyes" :)

> g. Wine seems to be on the CD, but I wasn't sure why and how to use
> it.
>    Since we are booting off the CD, how can it be used with regard to
>    running windows applications ?  What did you have in mind there ?
Since I am on dial-up and cannot test Arabbix I do not know of the state
of this. I am willing to bet you are missing a wine configuration file
(usually in ~/.wine). Use wineconfig (get it from freshmeat) to
pre-configure wine or do it by hand. You may then use wincfg to further
configure wine. After this, use the wine(1) command to launch an
executable.

http://www.kerneled.com/doc/man/freebsd/man1/wine.html
http://www.kerneled.com/doc/man/freebsd/man5/wine.conf.html

> i. On the bottombar (not sure what its called - taskbar or whatever),
>    OpenOffice is listed under KDE.  Is that right ?
We need to go the Redhat/GNOME way here. Have a more minimal set of menu
items(ex: Office, Internet, Graphics, Games, etc...).

> j. Do please include the following application 'dia' - its similar to
>    Visio and ought to live under the office category.
Dia is still pretty much early in terms of development and feature set.
I would recommend wasting more time with GIMP plugins instead.

> Anmar, keep up the GREAT work this is simply <british accent> splendid
> </british accent> :-).
Keep it up Anmar :)

--
| Samy Al Bahra | samy at kerneled dot com |