Re: Open Issues & Todos

On Monday 24 November 2003 04:45, Nadim in his TODO_global wrote:
> Technical/Code Issues:
I want to post some comments here and add some issues here so that I can
remove it from the MAPS page to make things more tidy.

>  - Free Fonts
>    + Need KACST to include the various changed from M.Yousif (Quran)
>    + Need a knowledgeable font designer to review Khotot project
+ Some characters are missing from Urdu Nastaliq Unicode, e.g. ALEF WITH HAMZA
ABOVE (U+0623), YEH (U+064A), TEH MARBUTA (U+0629), ALEF MAKSURA (U+649), ...
This font is a good font IMHO that worth looking at, and should be added to
the khotot project.
+ Tashkeels (diacritics) should be consistent with the font. It's illogical to
have The same diacritics dimensions for kacstposter and kacstdecorative as
the ones for kacst-qr!!
+ The size of the kacst-qr font should be enlarge to conform with the other
kacst font series. Now kacst-qr font is very small. In other words kacst-qr
size 14 is much smaller than any Arabic font size 14. This has cause a
problem in Mandrake for example because developers there can't go and test
each font size separately for each language.

>  - Terminal Emulators
>    + Gnome-terminal: Need to include shaping
>    + Xterm: Need to include Bidi/shaping (already has utf-8 support)
>      (www.wholehog.fsnet.co.uk/robert/xterm)
>    + Need to look into rxvt (does it have utf-8 support ?)
[munzir at localhost munzir]$ rxvt

WARNING!!

rxvt is unable to display in UTF-8 encoding
you should use xterm instead

>  - Quran Datafile
>    + Need an authority to verify data file's content and correctness
I can't understand this long-awaiting desire yet. How come you are trying to
find an authority to verify a data that's not complete yet. Up to now, the
font is not complete and even when it's completed, you need to implement all
those Quran annotation signs in the data files before you even consider
searching for the authority. I will try to help when there is something to be
approved.

>  - Akka
>    + Need a complete rewrite of current project
>    + Need to reduce dependencies and code bloat
>    + Need to make it more portable (not only linux-centric)
>    + Need to look into the 'farsi' application as a possible replacement
+ Need to make it use configure (autoconf) if not already use, can any one say
for sure.
+ Need to consider endianess and word size (that is: don't presupposing 32bit
x86)
>    --> Involved:
>        = was    - Mohammed.Elzubeir
>        = was    - Samy.AlBahra
=is -Muhammad Alkarouri (even supplied a patch)

>  - LaTeX2HTML
>    + Add Arabic language (requires little Perl knowledge)
>    + Create a 'style' file like one of the packages in latex2html/styles/
Can you explain to me what's the problem  here. I tried it and it works!

>  - Office-related Apps
>    + Need DIA   localized
>    + Need Gaim  localizaed
I know that Gaim's .po files are already translated and you can type Arabic
within it. What's the problem then? (shaping?)

>  - Children Games
>    + Find a list of viable games to include
+ Add the Arabic language to Ktouch. I think a typing tutor that supports
Arabic is something very important to children and adults too.

>  - Shirts
>    + Need a means to print and distribute T-shirts with Arabeyes' logo
Are you serious ;) I ask for one in advance.

--

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of Mandrake Arabization Project Status (MAPS)
http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distro/mdkarabicsupport.html
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA