Re: some general points

Hello Mostafa:

Do please send me the layout of the Hardware machines so I know what the Arabbix did not work on ... for future fixes.

I do realize Arabbix 0.8 is not perfect, but we have started and we will not stop until we are satisfied that it resolves the problems we want.

The biggest problem we have is getting people to actually do work. There are lots of technologies that manage arabic and english in a single line (bidi) and it still needs work.

If you wish to contirbute to our Fonts project we would be delighted. Currenctly the arabic fonts we have have a very bad english (latin) lettesr hence the bad looks that Mozilla gives you. We need for sombody to put a good face on the latin letters in these fonts. It is not a very hard job. Just time consuming. Do let know please and we can get you started in no time :)

I thank you for your work and feedback. please keep it coming. It is the only way to improve Arabbix.

Anmar

Moustafa Elqabbany wrote:
Assalamu alaikum,
Let me start by saying that I am a proponent of Linux and fully support the Arabization efforts spearheaded by Arabeyes and others. Any criticism here is intended to iron out the problems, not to bash anyone.
I should also mention my basic needs in terms of Arabic computing: I want to be able to view and compose well-formatted Arabic text for the web and email. So far, I have not been able to do this with Linux, and have therefore been using Windows XP. (If any kind person wants to point me to a faq on how to do this, it would be much appreciated.) I am not really interested in an Arabic UI, since English is easier and more familiar for me. Now comes the criticism:
I tried out Arabbix 0.8 and I'm not terribly impressed. It failed on 2 of the three computers I tried it on. (I specialize in cheap hardware. :)) One of the computers it failed on (with a kernel panic one time and just hung the other time) runs XP perfectly and is a run of the mill Pentium-based system with an IDE drive. The other is an old Acer extensa 390 laptop running Redhat 6 smoothly. Arabbix just hung on it. Arabbix did work on my C3 Gigapro. However, Mozilla was very flaky and the fonts were just plain ugly.
I can provide more details to anyone interested.
Salam,
Moustafa