Re: I've discovered a way to show arabic windows file names in gtk2 applications (KDE ALSO)

My Inbox Happily Received This From Mohammed Sameer @ Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:18:32 +0200

> My Inbox Happily Received This From ammer @ Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:14:26 +0300
>
> > Mohammed Sameer wrote:
> >
> > >My Inbox Happily Received This From Mohamed Aser @ Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:12:49 -0500

> > >I really can't say more than "Thank God"
> > >Here is a screenshot of konqueror showing Arabic windows file names
> > >$ export LC_ALL=UTF-8
> > >and use the mount command as:
> > >mount -t auto /dev/hdxy /mnt/foo -oiocharset=utf8
> > >IT REALLY WORKS
> > >
> > >All the stuff is in "qtextcodec.cpp"
> > >It searches for the list of encodings as follow:
> > >LC_ALL then LC_CTYPE then LANG
> > >I can't say more than that as an explanation because i don't understand Qt internals

> > I am sad, It didn't work for me, please are you sure for the steps?
> >
> > I am using KDE 3.0.4 on mandrake 9
>
> strange,
> i'm also using mandrake 9.0
> The problem is that i don't have enough experience with Qt internals
>
> ok here is the output of the mount command
>
> /dev/hda1 on /mnt/win_c type vfat (rw,iocharset=utf8)
> /dev/hda5 on /mnt/win_d type vfat (rw,iocharset=utf8)
> /dev/hda6 on /mnt/win_e type vfat (rw,iocharset=utf8)
> /dev/hda7 on /mnt/win_f type vfat (rw,iocharset=utf8)
> /dev/hda8 on /mnt/win_g type vfat (rw,iocharset=utf8)
>
> you see i've mounted the partitions using -oiocharset=utf8
> then:
> $ export LC_ALL=UTF-8
> $ konqueror &
>
> The font i'm using is tahoma
>
> But here is the problem:
> when i do that, i am not able to write arabic in kword, probably because we are modifying the encoding, and guess what ? the only arabic letter that can be written is the "lam alef" !!!!!
> i think the solution is to modify Qt to let it grab the encoding from another variable, or to say that it's not possible with KDE!

Here is the right way:
$ export LC_ALL=ar_EG.UTF-8
and make sure you have a locale named ar_EG.UTF-8 in /usr/share/locale

$ ls /usr/share/locale/ar_EG.UTF-8/
LC_ADDRESS   LC_IDENTIFICATION  LC_MONETARY  LC_PAPER
LC_COLLATE@  LC_MEASUREMENT     LC_NAME      LC_TELEPHONE
LC_CTYPE@    LC_MESSAGES/       LC_NUMERIC   LC_TIME

--
-- Katoob Main Developer