Re: How to change the KDE3 GUI language to Arabic

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 01:58:14PM -0700, Munzir Taha wrote:
> I have a problem in installing the Arabic Language support in Red Hat linux 7.3.

It's not so much 'arabic' support as it is KDE support. RedHat does not support
KDE, so you're on your own when trying to use it.

>   a.. During the installation I found the arabic (Saudi Arabia) language, so I
>       checked the box. Ok?
>   b.. http://arabeyes.sourceforge.net/images/screenshots/kde3/index.html  proves
>       it's possible
>   c.. Now, I tried to change the Interface language to Arabic but no language except
>       English! I have told this guy, I live in Saudi Arabia.
>   d.. I have to do it manually, I thought. So, I searched for the kde-i18n-ar-3.0.rpm
>       in the accompanied disks but no such a package. RedHat doesn't support KDE RPM'
>       well (forget about Arabic) for bad reasons.
>   e.. I searched the Internet and found the RPM for the kde-i18n-ar - a Mandrake
>       version. The installation failed.

I would suggest the following: either drop RedHat completely (and let them know you are
disappointed at their lack of support of KDE), or compile everything from source (the
entire KDE environmet). Up to you. I would do both (drop RH, and compile from source on
whatever distro you use ;).

>   f.. I downloaded kde-i18n-ar-3.0.1.tar.bz2
>   g.. $ tar jxvf kde-i18n-ar-3.0.1.tar.bz2
>   $ cd kde-i18n-ar
>   $ ./configure
>   $ make && make install
>   But no Arabic language is available yet. Here is part of what happened.
> ------------------Cut here--------------
> [root at localhost kde-i18n-ar]# tar jxvf kde-i18n-ar-3.0.1.tar.bz2
> [root at localhost src]# cd kde-i18n-ar
> [root at localhost kde-i18n-ar]# ./configure

>   a.. Ok! may be I was wrong, so I decided to install the Russian language.
> It installs. I haven't expected the desktop interface to be Russianized (and
> hence didn't concentrate on the icon of the desktop Settings Wizard), I needed
> some time to figure out how to return to the English Interface. Now I know I should

The problem here it seems that wherever your KDE files are stored, as the RPM's put
them, is not in /usr/local/kde... which is where the Arabic interface was installed.
Since I don't know abut the organization of the KDE rpm's for RH, I can't tell you where
to install it.. but find where your KDE stuff is, and then use that directory as the
prefix when doing a ./configure on the kde-i18n-ar file:

$ ./configure --prefix=/my/kde/dir

then it should install in the appropriate place and show.

Also, for future reference, you don't have to cut/paste the entire output of untarring
a large file.. or any other long operation that is successful (unless there is an
error.. you can simply show a '..' to indicate 'some stuff happens here') ;)

Good luck!