Re: promotion for linux in arabia (preliminary thoughts)

Salam All,
  Arafat had posted a very interesting post in the doc list, and I thought
that it would have all the needed audiance here in the general list..
  Arafat, your ideas are great .. it seems that some of them are already
implemented.. such as:
1) A rough plan, roadmap if you may call it, can be found here:
http://www.arabeyes.org/projects/project_list.txt

I guess that this document need to be revised by all of you, suggest
additions, involve in any part of it as you may see. I guess that we need an
HTML version of the file, and we need a document with clear and good steps to
achive what is mentioned in the plan. The only thing standing against doing
this, is that Arabeyes does not have constant commitment by
developers/contributors, this is my opinion at least..

2) "A website dedicated to the novice user, who wants more info about Linux"..
I guess that is already done by a number od websites check linuxnewbie for
example.. if you are talking about the Arab Linux User, then that is another
story.. linux4arab provide some guidance for new linux user, giving some info
about what Linux is and so .. What Arabeyes 'can do'/'had been doing' is to
provide comprehensive document/pages about Arabic support on Linux.. it is
Still in development stage, and it need to be translated to Arabic and maybe
Frensh (the Other second langauge in Arab countries beside English)
http://www.arabeyes.org/howto/arabic-howto/

About other points you mentioned .. do you, or any one here in the list have
suggestions on how to do it ? like how to reach big websites (those with big
trafic) ? just send to webadmin at something ? or maybe if there is face to face
meetings with people involved with those sites ? I am not sure ..

About analysis, I agree that we need to have analysis about user needs,
although I do not agree with you when it comes to KDE :-) anyhow, how can
such analysis happen? should we post polls about what users use in websites
such as Linux4arab ? what questions should we ask, suggestions ?

If may add, there is few points about promossion that I can add.. University
Students approuch .. campains to universities by Arabeyes/LUG members can
help introduce Linux to University students.. those students serve as the
core of any project servival .. as they are very giving and welling to
contribute to community .. I may be mistaken, but most of the projects where
born inside universities either by students or teachers .. (Linux, GNU,
etc..)

About Distro contacts, and other issues.. we need a taskforce for that.. You
proposed great ideas, now we need to set up a team to work on them, don't
expect that you throw ideas and wait for someone to do it :-) please step
forward with action .. who is interested in working on the Arabeyes-Promotion
Taskforce ? it is no easy job..

what do you think?

Yours
Isam Bayazidi