Re: emacs shaping

Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> Salam again,
>
> I had noted earlier that shaping is possible in emacs without too much
> effort.  What I had neglected to say was that it is possible through the
> usage of multiple keys -- in other words to write a "seen" that is in the
> middle of the word, I can make is so that when the user presses on the "s
> key he/she would get one form of the letter, pressing the "s" key again
> would result in a different form, pressing it the third time would go to
> yet a third.
>
> Conversely, if you guys have other ideas, I would love to hear 'em.

Okay after my last email I guess pretty much is cleared up. I would personally
advise you to forget about contextual formatting and rather focus on
mirroring. It shouldn't be very complicated I guess, and would make it possible
to go forward on another software while considering (x)emacs (emacs and xemacs
have about the same packages, developping something for one requires little t
no effort to be used on the other) to be "sufficiently" Arabized (once the
keyboard maps and the bidi input fixed).  In case you really want to do
contextual formatting, it should be done automatically by (x)emacs. It is not
just ideally:) since you'll have to store the characters independently from
their shape anyway, so loading a file will have to be analysed again (see my
explanation about encodings in the previous mail).

mmmmm... did I forget any point?

Yalla, salam,
Chahine