Re: Stereotypes?!

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 11:47:38PM -0700, [coder] wrote:
> Sorry about the late posting, I realize this thread is nearly
> realllllyyy old, but I thought I might as well post my thoughts on the
> current tutorial. Am I the only one that gets the feeling that the logo
> is promoting western stereotypes against arab women?

I'm not sure what you are talking about? First of all, this is a young girl's
face (the one on the current banner). She is a 'desert' girl.. wearing a
colorful veil type of thing, to cover her face (from the sand). If you've been to any Arab
country, you will see areas where this type of dress code fairly common.
Granted, not all Arab countries, and not all areas within a country.

I don't see how that stereotypes anything.

> I like the idea of something like a camel with bulging eyes or
> something, I’d do it if I wasn’t so bad with graphics

Sure, that's ideally what we want. In the meantime, I don't think what we have
is that bad.

Thanks for the input ;)

| Mohammed Elzubeir                    | http://www.fakkir.net/           |
| Tech Support                         | http://www.arabeyes.org/         |
| College of Business Computing Center | Homepage:                        |
| University of North Texas            | http://www.fakkir.net/~elzubeir/ |