Re: On the lack of motivation...

On Friday 01 July 2005 19:36, Arafat Medini wrote:
> Salam all,
>
> If I have a point to say and critic, it would be very well described
> with the QAC situation... Vapourware which killed our nerves.
> On the other side, if you look at abdos demise last time. He said
> let's meet and then he was the one who went saying: "oh you can do
> this by yourslef it's all there..." This will be my first direct
> criticism to Abdo. How much respect does one have towards the others
> to throw at the last minute a staple of tasks at them and say to them
> do this by yourself?...

Ouch. I deserved that.

> What makes me desiullusioned, and made me already... Is the fact that
> even inside Arabeyes everyone does what he wants but when he has to do
> things he doesn't want to do, he runs away. VIPs and newbies alike.
> What I missed in the whole years at arabeyes and today more then
> yesterday is this really supportive environment, not papers or
> pressure, but when someone asks people come and help.
> I wanted some help about gnome scripts at a time. But no one really
> helped. When asking about some help in gnome translation everyone
> knows what happened... etc etc... I feel being alone in my project,
> not because I do my things alone but because no one really #wants# to
> help me!

I dont think its because people are there but they dont want to help you. I
think its more appropriate to say, people are not there in the first place.

> Another important point, taking QAC as an example. I said let's work,
> no one did, said let's meet and nothing happened. At some time we had
> some structure going on but no one was really interested. Then I said
> ok gnome is very fine take a look, adopt it and where change is needed
> do it. No one really cared.
>
> Asides from accumulating the cvs tree with code and letting ppl use
> the infrastructure for their own needs (see plone or drupal)... I
> haven't seen any real thing which gets me excited anymore about
> Arabeyes.

We dont mind anyone using the infrastructure for their own needs. Its not like
its costing us thousands of dollars. Infact we do these things mostly in the
hopes of generating interest in Arabeyes. If we have failed to do so so far
it doesn't necessarily mean its because we accepted this project or that.

I hate to be the one to just keep theorizing and saying "our problem is this",
and "our problem is that", but we are certainly going through a period of
depression in our project's spirit, and this one can't be cured by drugs.

What should we do? Well for once I don't even have a proposal of a solution.
I'm just going to watch and see :-)

> Well that's MHO... take it easy and enjoy the WE!

My weekend is already over :-(

Salam and thanks for speaking your mind (never a bad idea)

Abdulaziz,