Re: Core Elections

--- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 21:52, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > I agree.  I would even say 30 days would be sufficient.  If there are any
> > irregularities or conduct questions we'll certainly know before the month
> > is up and that's only when those votes would need to be re-tallied.
>
> I'm sorry, did I miss something here? All records should be kept until
> the end of the world. There is absolutely no reason why such data would
> be discarded, one month or 6 or 4000 years later. I'm a big fan of
> record-keeping and I would like to look back a few years later and see
> how many votes per person, etc. The specific records of who voted for
> who might not necessarily be publically available at all times, but why
> on earth would you deliberately destroy them?

The results should be kept and documented for eternity as far as I'm
concerned :-)  Who voted for whom should not though; its a question of
privacy and the only reason to keep that info is in case a recall is
forced or is called upon.  People's votes should only be safe-guarded
to note that the results are in fact what they are due to what really
took place (ie. no foul play took place) - once a certain "confidence"
period has passed there is no reason to keep that info.