Re: [doc] Eastern Arabic numbers format

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 08:25:20PM +0100, Youssef Chahibi wrote:
> Salam,
>
>    We need to specify the format of Arabic numbers in KDE. However, I
> did find enough resources about the subject. Alsadi pointed me to the
> unicode characters 'ARABIC THOUSANDS SEPARATOR' (U+066C) and 'ARABIC
> DECIMAL SEPARATOR' (U+066B). But are they actually in use in Arabic
> media? What should we adopt?

The use of 'ARABIC DECIMAL SEPARATOR' is very wide, though not all
computer fonts get it correctly. It looks like an English coma with
slightly longer tail, not a small Raa', though I've seen news papers that
use a small Raa', but I mostly think it is/was a workaround for some
technology limitation.
I'm not sure about the thousands separator though, I need to dig deeper.

Regards,

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Arabic localizer and member of Arabeyes.org team