Re: Arabeyes Translation Teams.

Djihed Afifi wrote:
> [...]
> things *work*, not to over analyse people's behaviour philosophically.
> May be I'm too much of a pragmatic person, I believe pragmatism is
> what we need ATM and ASAP.
>
> This is also necessary to *contain* all Arabic translation efforts.
> Instead of being selective by raising the bar high for entrants,
> Arabeyes should embrace every possible translator. I wonder why we
> complain about not too many active members when we're being elitist.
> Again, the goal is not to form a group of elitists, let's drop the
> arrogance attitude a bit towards new comers, and move the Arabic
> translation train into its rails again. We're the only serious Arabic
> translators in the scene, it's a great *responsibility*, even
> religiously, if religion holds any place in you.
>
> Please understand that 99.99% of Arabic computer users out there are
> not as tech savvy as you are (actually, that's the reason only you
> survived the obstacles..), the language(English) and the terminology
> (IT) form a learning curve that is simply too steep for them.
>
> May be you're wondering what I'm expecting from this email. I'm
> expecting a revision of the whole translation process. Currently, new
> translators have to register to the website, read 99 manuals,
> subscribe to the mailing lists, get a CVS account (which means they
> have to be CLI masters). Remember, it's like a filter, every step in
> the way potentially discourages many people away. You require that
> level of dedication from may be core developers, or at most all
> developers, but not of every translator whose only interest is
> translating strings. After all, getting a CVS account and subs'ing to
> a mailing list is no guarantee for dedication, how many people have
> CVS accounts but are not or were never dedicated?
>
> I can hear you saying "but.... if we don't request them to do that
> they will not be dedicated", They don't even know how to do that,
> mate. Another would say: "... if we won't request that they read those
> 99 manuals they will bombard us with questions", to that I say, so
> what, let them ask, please drop the arrogant RTFM[1] attidude whenever
> someone asks a seemingly (to you) simple question, nobody was born a
> master. If somebody asks "How do you enable Arabic in windows", a bad
> answer would be to just give him a link to a 12 page manual, a good
> answer might be "You go to control panel, you do this ..etc, this is
> also explained here: link". We should win hearts first, if you win a
> heart, you win the mind.
>
> Please understand that this is not a rant, I'll put my hand first on
> the table to get this moving. We need to *work*, to get things
> *working* and to show that we actually *mean business*.
>
> Finally, after we fix our wrecked (in my opinion) translation and
> recruitment process, we should then think of real concrete steps to
> recruit more translators, I'll leave that after this discussion.
>
> Please voice your opinion even if you'll only write a couple of words.
I agree with all what you said especially that I faced the hassle
myself. I can't remember how much I bothered Youssef Chahibi but I know
I did.

Basically IMHO, I think we need to update our documentation, at least
the ones related to translation and CVS (include more gui stuff and
screenshots), update or better have a bilingual website for AE.org. This
will help a lot in the process of recruiting resources and indeed the
translations as a consequence.

Djihed, thanks for bringing this up