Re: learning programming

--- Youssef Chahibi <chahibi at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I don't understand what is difference between a GUI editor
> like kate or gedit and Emacs or Vi ? Can you explain ?

Kate and gedit, among others, are word processors where-as
emacs and vi/vim are text editors.  A simple way to think
about it is that Kate/gedit/abiword, etc allow you to add
italic/bold/underline, etc to your text and you will see those
on the screen (akin to OpenOffice.org's Writer).  You can do
those things in emacs/vim but that would not be the "normal"
mode (LaTeX comes to mind).  When you program those fancy
character settings and formating are not required and thus
become a burden and a simple text editor is all you'll need.

My $0.02's worth - hope that helps.

Eid Mubarak to all & Salam.

http://farechase.yahoo.com