Re: linux arabic standardization

--- Youcef Rabah Rahal <y dot rahal at gmail dot com> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 Chahibi Youssef <chahibi at gmail dot com> wrote:
> > I think that I have to write a complete review of the arabization
> > of the arabic desktop. For the link, the website is a bit broken,
> >
> >   http://www.arabization.org.ma/Dictionnaire.asp
>
> I don't know if you are also aware of the existence of the ALECSO
> (google for it and search Arabeyes' website since there are a few
> archived messages about it). It is the standardization organism of the
> Arab league, they standardize translations of Technical/Scientific
> terms among other things. I have two of their dictionaries.
>
> > The ALECSO web site points to Arabization.org.ma:
> >   http://www.alecso.org.tn/arabe/db/databases.htm

With ALECSO and arabization.org.ma being related can we do the following
(disregard QAC for now),

 1. Contact arabization.org.ma and tell them to fix their horrible
    website (and have them move to UTF-8 from CP-1256 while at it :-)
 2. Contact arabization.org.ma (or ALECSO) to introduce Arabeyes and
    our collective work to them and have them take a look at our
    EN->AR Wordlist [1]
 3. Contact arabization.org.ma (or ALECSO) to see if they would be
    willing to share their work with us under an open source license.
    Emphasis on common goals, long-term benefits, etc, etc.
 4. Talk in more detail on more extensive collaboration.

Chahibi, since you seem geographically close to them and are interested
in the topic - could you (with assistance from anyone else of course,
Youcef :-) look into this and bring it to a resolution.

Keep in mind too that the plan has always been to start an AR->EN Wordlist
once the EN->AR Wordlist was completed (we needed the ability to generate
a complete set of Arabic words and 'duali' [2] was noted as a possible
avenue).

[1] http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Wordlist
[2] http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=Duali

Thanks & Salam.