Re: standards for translation?

to take your criticisms from their roots, I don't agree with your quote
that: " it's better to to not produce a dictionary than to produce a bad
one"
Indeed the work will be in every point needing revision, so stopping
only because one does not make quality work is not the right way to go.

The majority of translators when working on the dics realize how hard
and tremendous the work is and then stop. You are leaved with half the
work which is a bad work. That's why the majority of dics aren't good.

Still in the natural evolution of a process SO BIG as a dic you will
have as a first step where translations which are not good will exist
with good once, as a second step the translator wanting to translate as
much words as he can relying on his perception of a good translation and
then on a THIRD stance ppl from outside critcizing his work which will
make him start the process of quality control and at the end quality
management. This is the normal evolution of any translation project out
there.

This means that it is far better to make quantity OVER quality at first
stance and THEN start to work on refinements.

Generally this is a very european and arabic symptom, ppl discuss too
much and work too less, it is this view of white or black : do it
perfect or don't. In truth it is all a natural evolution.

So to close my comment your critics are for sure very important but they
only direct a project where I would support that it works like it worked
before for the sake of making the pillars... When the project really
matures quality control can begin.

But wondering about the existence of it after Alrashedeen has putten so
much hard effort in it is not really elegant...

yours
Arafat