(forw) Re: Skolelinux (educational distro)

Petter probably doesn't have write right to the list, so forwarding

----- Forwarded message from Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry dot com> -----

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:27:02 +0200
From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry dot com>
To: Documentation and Translation <doc at arabeyes dot org>
Cc: Christian Perrier <bubulle at debian dot org>
Subject: Re: Skolelinux (educational distro)

[Christian Perrier]
> However, adding Arabic support to Skolelinux may be tricky currently
> as, for stability reasons, the distribution is based on Debian "woody"
> which probably lacks a lot of stuff for properly supporting BiDi.

Yes.  Adding BiDi support in Woody is out of scope.  Too much to do,
too little gain.  It is better to spend the effort on Sarge and Sid.

> However, as Debian release is now again on its way (I still have to
> read news about this), the next Skolelinux release will probably be
> based on Debian sarge....which increases the probability of adding
> Arabic support to it.
>
> Petter, correct me if I'm wrong somewhere, of courseĀ !

You are right.  We are now doing two development tracks.  One doing
minor bugfixes and improvements to the stable release, and one
improving and major fixes for the next major release based on Sarge.
Nothing would please me more then getting Arabic support into
Debian-Edu/Skolelinux, but it would have to go into the Sarge based
version.  The contact point for the project is
debian-edu at lists dot debian dot org dot   Please post there if you are interested
in helping out.

----- End forwarded message -----